Today: Matamoros counts with 480,000 inhabitants. The main branches of production are Agriculture, Stockbreeding, Fishing, Commerce, Tourism, Construction Industry, Medical Services and Other.
Starting the 21st century, Matamoros will surpass the mark of 500,000 inhabitants and if the same tendency of growth were to continue, for the year 2020 our city will have a million inhabitants.
1519: The Spanish Captain Alonso Alvarez de Pineda arrived at the estuary of the “Río de las Palmas” (Río Bravo)
12/July/1686: Captain and explorer Alonso de León “El Mozo” arrived at the region.
1706: Captain Juan José Hinojosa baptized the region as: “Paraje de los Esteros Hermosos” (“Spot of the Beautiful Estuaries”).
1749: Don Matías de los Santos Coy established a ranch that he called: “San Juan de los Esteros Hermosos”, he had to abandon it a short time later.
1774: 12 families originating in Camargo and one of Reynosa, founded the Congregation San Juan of the Beautiful Estuaries. They were commandeered by the Captain Ignacio Anastacio de Ayala.
1784: The properties of the thirteen founder families were formalized in Linares.
1793: The Franciscan Missionaries Manuel Juilo de Silva and Francisco Puelles, of the Apostolic School of Guadalupe, Zacatecas, convinced the neighbours so that they changed the name to the congregation for one new: “Our Lady of the Refuge of the Estuaries”. The inhabitants called it “The Refuge” or “Village of the Refuge”.
1797: The first Mayor was chosen: Mr. Calixto of Ayala.
1820: The Spanish Crown authorized the opening of the Port The Refuge (River). The Father Nicolas Ballí raised a census of population: 2,320 Inhabitants.
January 28th, 1826: Being A Governor of the State of Tamaulipas Mr. Lucas Fernández, the Third Congress of the State, emitted the Decree Number 12, by means of which is designated to the Congregation of the Refuge the title, “Village of Matamoros”, in honor to the great insurgent hero: Mr. Mariano Matamoros (1770-1814).
May 14th, 1834: Being a Mayor Mr. Juan Longoria y Serna, the Congress of the State granted the rank of “City of Matamoros, Tamaulipas”.
1836: The Matamoros population had a determined nationalist participation in the war of Texas. General Filisola withdrew to Matamoros with the rest of the troops of Santa Ana.
May, 1846: To the north of Matamoros the first two battles of the war United States were waged – Mexico Palo Alto and Resaca of Guerrero.
November, 7th 1851: For the brilliant defence of the city, the civil population and the military commanded by the Municipal President Macedonio Capistrán and the General Francisco Avalos, the Congress of the State granted to the city of Matamoros the titles of Heroic and Unbeaten.
May 28th, 1852: Being the President of Mexico, the General Mariano Arista, the Federal Congress decreed to offer to Matamoros, Tamaulipas the title of “Loyal”. (Matamoros has three titles: Heroic, Unbeaten and Loyal).
1854: General Juan José de la Garza and others fight against the dictatorship of Santa Ana.
1858: Foundation of the Literary and Scientific Institute “San Juan”.
1861: Confrontation of the local political groups known as “Red” and “Crinolinos”.
1862-1867: Great commercial boom of the Ports of Matamoros (River) and Bagdad (Maritime) in this period known as “The Epoch of the Cotton”, consequence of the Civil war of the United States.
1864: The Imperialist at the command of the General Tomas Mejía occupy Matamoros.
1865: General Tomás Mejía concluded the construction of the Reforma theatre and of the Casamata Fort. The imperialists rejected the attack of the Republicans, commanded by the General Mariano Escobedo, Juan N. Corina and Servando Canales.
June, 1866: After the great defeat infringed to the Imperialists in Santa Gertrudis, Camargo, by the republican forces at the command of the Generals Mariano Escobedo and Servando Canales, the Imperialists had to evacuate Matamoros.
1866-1871: The internal political fights among Servando Canales, Juan José de la Garza, Juan N Cortina, and other, had as main stage the city and port of Matamoros.
April 2nd, 1876: Generals Porfirio Díaz and Manuel González (Matamoros native initiated the Revolution of Tuxtepec with the capture of Matamoros. This Revolution took the General Porfirio Díaz to the presidency of the Republic, first, and to the General Manuel González, immediately later.
1881: General Porfirio Díaz visited Matamoros, being a former-president.
June 3rd, 1913: General Lucio Blanco took the city of Matamoros, in favor of the Constitutional Revolution.
August 30th, 1913: The General Lucio Blanco distributed the Estate “The Lambs” to form the first countryside of the Mexican Revolution.
March, 1915: Villistas troops at the command of the Generals José Rodriguez and Absaúl Navarro, attacked the city, but they were rejected by the forces of the General Emiliano Nafarrate.
November, 1915: Visited Matamoros the Primary Leader Venustiano Carranza.
January, 1926: Were celebrated the pompous Festivals of the Centennial of Matamoros.
September 3rd, 1933: One of the most powerful hurricanes than have attacked Matamoros, cause large losses and floods.
October, 1935: The Engineer Eduardo Chávez arrived at Matamoros, to build the boards of defense of the city, against the floods caused by the Río Bravo.
1936-1941: Engineer Eduardo Chávez planned and built the district of irrigation of the Low Valley of the Rio Grande.
1940-1963: In the “White Gold Era”, the region of Matamoros produced large quantities of cotton for which there was an enormous economic spill.
1964-1999: The region of Matamoros produces millions of tons of sorghum and corn, for which has been called “the grain producer of Mexico”.
1970-2004: A large quantity of maquiladora industries is established in Matamoros, it provides stability and sources of permanent employment. Currently exist 122 businesses that occupy 60,000 employees, approximately.
Source: Ing. Clemente Rendón de la Garza
IV Chronicler of H. Matamoros Tam.,
Phone: (868) 812 2876,